Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Waiting for Liz

Well here I am at 7:26am Bangkok time and I have three hours to kill before Liz is supposed to get off the plane. I did not get to stay at the Good News Study Center last night which was fine. I think that the Thai people felt bad about that. They should not be the ones to feel bad because I was the one who just popped up out of nowhere. They were not prepared for me. Which is understandable.
 
Anyways, I stayed at a place down the road from the base. (Good News Study Center = Worldbase) I had to pay 330B equivalent to $8.25. Which is not to bad for the US but I think that it was pricey for Thailand. Well, not for Thailand but for me in Thailand. I would rather pay about 120B or $3. I know I am cheap. I should have been born Pake.
 
This is the money that I have spent so far:
 
$20.20 US at the airport in Honolulu on Chocolate covered Mac nuts for Kelly and everybody at the base.
$39.00 US exchange into Baht. = 1,398.25B exchange rate $1=39.95B
 
  20B on the bus to Bangkapi
    5B on the bus from Bangkapi to Ramkhamhaeng
  23B Mangostein (the best fruit that God made)
  30B internet last night
  10B Roti (Indian type tortilla thing that had chocolate powder and sugar and sweetened condensed milk.) mmm
330B hotel room
    5B water that I am drinking now
 
Total Baht =  423B = $11 almost
 
I really need to eat some Thai food. Som Tom and Tom Ka sounds really good right now. I already ate the Mangostein. Oh it was so good.
 
Anyways back to my day so far. I had the hotel give me a wake up call at 4:30am but I think that they called at 4am because by the time I got down to the lobby to check out it was 4:15. So I checked out because I didn't know if I would be back in time to check out by noon. Then I walked to the center and sat a round for awhile. Then at a little after 5 we left for the airport. The FMS team this year was leave for home. I was glad I was not leaving. That will be soon enough. Well I went with them because I would get a free ride to the airport because I have to pick up Liz at 10:30 or so.
 
 Jen Stevens is here. I was glad to see her. She told me that she thought about me a lot. That made me feel good. I hope that they are glad that I am here. I hope that they don't feel put out. Jen told me about Nikki. I knew that Nikki got sick and was in a comma but I thought that she was better. I guess it turns out that she has short term memory loss. I guess it is not really really bad like on 50 first dates. But still that is not good. She got some sort of Malaria and meningitis. It messed with her brain. I guess she is lucky that she is still alive. Other people were getting this illness at that time and most were dying from it.
 
 So I hung out with everybody and they all left around 6:15am. I walked around the airport for awhile and then decided to cross the street. So I went out. I didn't want to sit in the airport in Thailand when I was only going to be here for two weeks! And now here I am in an internet cafe. Whatever. I want to find some Som Tom on my way back to the airport. I walked a long way and I hope that I don't get lost on the way back. I don't think I will. I keep on getting looks and people want to help me or get me a ride. They don't understand that I am not a normal person who wants all the American luxury. I like the third world atmosphere. Although Thailand is not third world anymore, it is a "developing" country. Anyways I love just walking down the street and seeing all the people and cars and vendors and dogs and garbage. I know I am weird. What can I say that is the way God made me.   
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home